Sunday, February 22, 2009

Zero to Sixty

Well, so much for doing a little more sitting down during break. Instead of laying back and taking it easy, I went and bought a house. Yes, friends, you can thank me for the upcoming economic recovery. Me, and my dad, who just bought a new truck.

There will be much more news shortly. Right now, I'm still in the minor-freak-out stage, given that the economic recovery is still "upcoming," and I have an apartment to pack. Which won't be all that bad, really; I did a lot of downsizing in the last two years and am one queen-sized bedroom suite + one twin daybed with trundle + one china cabinet + one folding table+ three yarn cubbies + one knock-together cabinet + a whole lotta books and magazines + various and sundry other things lighter. I'm not exactly living in a stark, bare Zen-like environment, never fear, but it's going to fit in a U-Haul this time, not a professional moving van. Besides, if you ever saw the staircase here, you would be ever-so-glad I won't be asking my friends to help move all that stuff.

So, in the meantime, I offer up a thought, for both me and for several friends who are in, shall we say, interesting situations, in a wide variety of flavors. It's from our good friend, Sigmund Freud:

When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons. In vital matters, however, such as the choice of a mate or profession, the decision should come from the unconscious, from somewhere within ourselves. In the important decisions of personal life, we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wow! That's a huge decision. Will this make leaving for 6 months easier or harder?